4.29.2008

Settling

Unpacking, organizing, teaching new boundaries and expectations to the kids- these activities have consumed my days. So far, only 3 days in, I think I'm surprised by how little the two families see each other. We have quick passing conversations, but really any extended time we've had together hasn't been much more than what we were already intentionally doing before the move.

It has made me think about how we, as suburban Americans, normally just aren't very efficient with the space we have in our homes. We use our bedrooms only for sleeping. We have "guest rooms" that are empty 11 months of the year. We insist on having 1/2 acre lots for our homes to make room for storage barns and extra garages for unnecessary extra stuff when a well organized closet or attic space would work just as well. Personally, I haven't felt crowded or claustrophobic at all, and this house is the same size as many others that only house one family.

A definite advantage, it has been so nice to have four adults to help with things instead of just 2. Four adults means half the yard work, half the cleaning, and half of the responsibility of maintaining a home. And, we all know that mundane chores like dishes and meals are just more fun when you can do them with someone. Eric and Tom are going to rebuild the play-set one of these days, a miserable task alone but kind of fun with a friend. Cassie and I are going to work on menu planning for dinners and financial stuff tonight; normally a task I would be dreading, but not so bad because we're doing it together. So, that's life so far from my perspective.

And, Miss Lottie might have sharper claws, but Harley is definitely louder. He is adjusting in his own I-have-short-dog's-disease-and-I-bark-at-everything kind of way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So is one of the reasons that you've moved in together to utilize space more efficiently in a generally sprawled out world?

Also, I never thought about it, but it would be really cool to have someone else to help with financial stuff (I do it, rather than my wife, but it's neither of our fortes).

Hope you don't mind the frequent comments from someone you've never meant--but based on your community, I figure you don't. ;-)

Jess said...

Praying for you guys as you adjust to new living space. I smile as I read you blogs - thanks for your honesty!

Anonymous said...

To ALL "my" kids - As I read this blog, I am so touched (crying,no...bawling actually) by the writings and comments. I am so proud of you all for your deep commitment to Christ and to each other, for your bravery, and for your creativity and insight, for your parenting skills ( and future parenting skills, hint, hint), for your love of community, denial of self, and generousity to others. There is nothing a parent could be prouder of and we are privileged to be able to journey along with you in this. I love you all dearly and you are always in my prayers. To God be the glory!
Mom - Neena

Unknown said...

Scott- I would answer yes from my perspective and we don't mind the frequent comments at all.