4.10.2008

Learning to Take Off the Mask

"That's great. Let us know how that goes."

"You are living my dream!"

"Why would you want to do that?"

"Um...OK"

These are all responses I have heard since we began to tell people about this little journey on which we are about to embark. We had no idea how people would react when we began to talk about living together with others in an attempt to live simply in accountable community.

There have been many who have been VERY encouraging and are looking forward to hearing how things go. Many are watching to see if it is something that would work for them. I am thankful for those who are supporting and encouraging us.

There have been others who have reacted negatively and just can't understand why we would do it. It does seem a little crazy and cramped and uncomfortable and bare and terrifying at times. I understand the concern and will just continue talking with those people about why we are doing it and giving them updates about how things are going.

I have been excited from the beginning and have had very few reservations about this decision. I had my first bout with fear a few nights ago but it didn't last long and I keep praying that God will change me in a powerful way through this experience. I have always been a "private" person and this is going to be outside of comfortable for me. I am learning in my time here in Wilmore, however, that community is not something to be feared. It does not have to be a burden when you are around those who don't need to see your "front." That mask you put on to make everyone think you have it together. Those people with whom you can be raw and honest (I'm still learning how to be raw and honest) are very refreshing and I am learning more and more how valuable those relationships are.

The time is approaching quickly (two weeks!!) and we will be launching this new period of our lives. Pray with us that God will do miraculous things through each of us to form a community of believers who are closer to Him because they are closer to each other. Let the games begin!!

2 comments:

Josh said...

Jess and I are really excited for you and are really looking forward to what you all have to say. We are expectant and we really are praying and seeking God to see if this is what He wants from us as well. Something to get us out of the shell and to take off the mask. Thanks for all of your honesty. Love you guys!!!

Joe White said...

You guys must be very ecited. This is a big week for your little adventure (i think). I hope it all goes well. And certainly am jealous of your community efforts.

I haven't yet found much in Jessamine County in ways of community. You are encouraging.